Cat Cow Pose / Marjariasana Bitilasanayogaroshan April 28, 2020 4:10 pm
Cat Cow Pose / Marjariasana Bitilasana comes from the pose of a cat and a cow – the arch on a cat’s back and the curve in the cow’s back.
Sanskrit Name and Meaning
- Name – Marjariasana Bitilasana
- Pronounced – Mar-ja-ree-aah-suh-nuh Bee-tea-laah-suh-nuh
- Meaning –
- Marjari – Cat
- Bitila – Cow
Note – There’s no need to strain yourself by doing more than what you can. It will do more harm than good. Seek expert guidance if you’re unsure about anything.
1. Stand on your knees. Lean forward to place the palms on the floor directly below your shoulders so that, the hands and thighs are perpendicular to the ground. This pose is basically called the Tabletop position.
2. Inhale while raising your head and arching your back upwards.
3. Hold for 5 breaths.
4. Exhale while lowering your chin towards your chest and flex your back downwards. (Hunch your back)
5. Hold for 5 breaths.
Tips for Beginners
1. For Step 1 – During the Tabletop position, put your hands right under the shoulders while your knees just below the hips.
2. For Steps 1-5 – During the asana, don’t stress on your wrist, instead press or try to grasp the ground from your fingertips as well.
Modifications and Props
1. For Wrist Pain – Instead of putting your Palms on the floor, bend your elbows and place your forearms.
2. For Knee Pain – Place towel or something under your knees. PRO TIP – Fold you mat and place your knees on the thicker part.
3. For Neck Pain – Align your Head with the Torso
- This pose doesn’t need a Counterpose as the extension and flexion of the back counters itself.
- If you need a counter pose, however, hold Balasana/Child’s Pose for five breaths.
- Refrain from the pose in case of severe neck and knees pain.
- Hold the Pose for much shorter for people with High Blood Pressure/Low Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Migraine, Vertigo, and Weak Heart Conditions.
- Loosens the Back
- Improves Digestion and Acidity Problems
- Relieves Sciatica
- Improves Flexibility of the Neck, Shoulders, and Spine
- Tones the Female Reproductive Organ
- Best Pose for Women Suffering from Menstrual Disorders
Feel free to tell us or ask us anything about the pose. For more, keep on browsing Yoga Memo.
You Might Also Like to Learn Downward Dog Pose.
- References from Asana Pranayama Mudra Banda by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- References from Wikipedia Bidalasana